Join the Minnesota Society for Clinical Hypnosis at the 6th Annual Shep Myers Memorial Wokshops for a presentation with G. Lane Wagaman via Zoom, on Sunday April 25th, 2021.
The morning workshop will address advanced skills in a range of hypnotic trance elicitation and intensification approaches that are highly adaptable and useful in clinical care settings.
The afternoon workshop will consider the advantages and strategies of clinical hypnosis for symptom change, management, or elimination in medicine and behavioral health care utilizing the experience of discomfort (pain) as a basic framework.
This event is being recorded, and will be available for two weeks to those who register and request the link.
|Date:||Sunday, April 25th, 2021|
|Time:||9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. CST|
Minnesota Clinical Society of Hypnosis 2021 Shep Myers Memorial Workshop
Clinical Hypnosis in Integrated Health Care: Advancing Hypnotic Trance Elicitation and Intensification Skills and Refining Pragmatic Skills for Management and Resolution of Discomfort for Patients with Pain Using Clinical Hypnosis
G. Lane Wagaman, EdD, Licensed Psychologist
As health care continues to move toward increasing integration and collaboration, it is important for clinicians who include clinical hypnosis skills in their practices to continue to strengthen and enhance those skills for application in a variety of clinical settings. Clinicians who include clinical hypnosis in their practices already understand the care-enhancing advantages of this adaptable and widely applicable clinical intervention.
This workshop will include two separate but related learning experiences. The morning workshop will address refinement and increasing complexity of clinical hypnotic skills in a range of hypnotic trance elicitation and intensification approaches that are highly adaptable and useful in clinical care settings.
The afternoon workshop will consider the advantages and strategies of clinical hypnosis for symptom change, management, or elimination in medicine and behavioral health care utilizing the experience of discomfort (pain) as a basic framework. Consideration will focus on patients with procedural, acute, and chronic pain as means of exploring and demonstrating the range of hypnotic approaches to effect symptom change in health care.
This workshop is appropriate for clinicians with at least fundamental/basic understanding of, and experience with, clinical hypnosis in practice and will include lecture, discussion, demonstration and participant experiential and practice opportunities.
Morning Workshop Objectives
- Demonstrate three distinct types of enhanced hypnotic trance elicitation
- Describe the importance of assessment of alertness both pre- and post- trance elicitation
- Describe three distinct potential uses of enhanced trance facilitation clinical care settings
Afternoon Workshop Objectives
- Identify risk factors in utilizing hypnotic trance elicitation and intensification prior to a medical or behavioral health examination
- Describe how hypnotic phenomena such as time distortion, amnesia, and dissociation can be helpful in symptom change or management, particularly with respect to chronic pain
- Define precautions that should be taken when utilizing clinical hypnosis in the treatment of acute and chronic pain
G. Lane Wagaman, EdD , Licensed Psychologist, Health Services Provider Psychologist , Hollywood, SC
- Licensed Psychologist, Health Services Provider Psychologist, North Carolina.
- Licensed Psychologist, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland.
- Member; Approved Consultant; Chair, Clinical Hypnosis Education and Training; Chair, Certification / Individualized Consultation Committee; Chair, Teaching and Consultation Workshops; Member, Ethics Committee; Co-Chair, Advanced Workshops (2016), Co-Chair, Refining Skills (Intermediate) Workshop (2017), Co-Chair, Level 1 (Fundamentals of Clinical Hypnosis) Workshop (2018, 2019, 2020), ASCH-ERF Annual Meeting Program Committee, American Society of Clinical Hypnosis.
- Member, Society of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis.
- Active Member, American Academy of Pain Medicine.
- Allied Health Staff, Department of Medicine, Greenbrier Valley Medical Center.
- Clinical Associate Professor, West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Clinical Associate Professor and Preceptor, Family Medicine Residency Program, West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine and Greenbrier Valley Medical Center.
- Past President and Member, West Virginia Board of Examiners of Psychologists.
- Life Member, American Psychological Association (APA): Division 30: Society for Psychological Hypnosis, Division 38: Society for Health Psychology, Division 41: Psychology-Law Society, Division 17: Society of Counseling Psychology.
- Fellow, Life Member, Past APA Council Representative, Past President, Past Chair Ethics Committee, Past Member Continuing Education Committee, Past Member Colleague Assistance Program, West Virginia Psychological Association.
- Life Member, Past Member Long Term Planning Committee, North Carolina Psychological Association (NCPA) and NCPA Division of Independent Practice.
Agenda (All times CST)
|9:00-9:15||Reminders about hypnotic communication|
|9:15-10:30||Refining Trance Elicitation and Intensification: Verbal Strategies (Indirect|
strategies: embedded suggestions, binds, range of alternatives and possibilities; presupposition; multisensory combinations; fractionation; compounding; confusion; conversational elicitation)
|10:45-12:00||Refining Trance Elicitation and Intensification: Non-Verbal Strategies and Rapid Strategies (Non-verbal elicitations; Ericksonian principles of rapid elicitation; catalepsy; touch)|
|12:00-12:15||Re-alerting and re-orienting|
|12:45-1:00||Meanings of pain|
|1:00-2:15||Clinical hypnosis and procedural pain, acute pain, and chronic pain|
|2:30- 3:15||Specific hypnotic interventions, with demonstrations|
|3:15- 3:30||Helpful mnemonics for working with patients with pain|
|3:30- 4:00||The importance of integrated care in treatment of patients with chronic pain|
If you are a member of MSCH and do not see the member registration below, please log in or renew your membership. If you have logged in and do not see the member price below, please refresh your browser (reload the page). After you have entered information on the registration below, you will be redirected to a page where you will be able to enter your credit card information.
This workshop is being recorded. Participation in this webinar assumes participants have given their permission to be recorded. Recording may be archived and viewed by people not in attendance. For confidentiality purposes, please de-identify children/families/others you are discussing in the chat.
After you submit this form, you will be taken to our Stripe page where you can securely enter your credit card information. If you are not seeing the Stripe page after hitting “enter,” please check that your computer settings allow pop-ups.